Tuesday, December 11, 2007

YOU'D BETTER NOT DO IT! I MEAN IT!

I love to go dancing. My sister and I frequent a friendly place in our neighborhood on Saturday nights. Everyone there who knows me knew I once had hair then I didn't. Most everyone in there knew I had alopecia but never pried about it. Instead, they seemed to be more interested in the types of hats, scarves and wigs I wore. They seemed more interested in how I could change my look at the drop of a dime every weekend. One particular night I stayed on the dance floor most of the night. I wore a wig that night and I was so hot and sweaty. My sister was dancing next to me in the middle of the dance floor. I guess I was feeling empowered that night and thought I had enough courage to whip the hot wig off and reveal my bald crown. The lights were pumping and the music was loud. We were having a blast. I looked at my sister and said, "Should I do it?". She said, " You'd better not do it! I mean it!...I swear Modolly, if you do it?...I'm leaving. I turned and faced another girlfriend of ours and asked her, " Should I do it?"...my friend said, "Sure, why not!". I whipped my wig off and slung it across the dance floor and it landed in another girlfriends lap who was sitting at a table. When she caught the wig, her mouth looked as if it was moving in slow motion...she was saying Ohhhhhh, Myyyyy G-O-D!. I turned and faced the dance floor and danced soo hard. I felt so free! I loved the feeling. I watched peoples faces and they were absolutely astonished! I looked at my sister and she she grabbed my hands and held them in the air. We danced together, she hugged me and before I knew it women came onto the dance floor to hug me, they were in tears. To this day, my sister is still mad at me BUT she never left my side that night. We're going out to dance again on Saturday. I love my sister and the friends I dance with.