Tuesday, December 11, 2007

GETTING HIT ON AND AN ALOPECIA LESSON

I was feeling a little down over the last couple of days Anyway, there's a guy in my neighborhood that I've seen around. I was going to the mailbox and had nothing on my head. He came over to me and said "Hello" and I spoke. He then said, I don't mean to get into your business but, are you OK? I have seen you around (I remember him looking at me the other day), and was asking my buddy about you because I wanted to ask you out. When I saw you the other day and you seemed real nice (I had a hat on that day)....and then I see you today and well...I am very sensitive to people who look like you do and I just want to say that I hope you're not very sick. I lost my wife to cancer 3 years ago so I know what you are going through". I felt so bad for him! I said, " I'm sorry about your wife, but I don't have cancer and my illness is not terminal. I have alopecia and went on to explain what alopecia is about. He had a big sigh of relief on his face. He then went on to ask if I would like to go out sometime. Then I told him I was married and his face looked worse than it did before he knew I wasn't terminally ill! . We said goodbye to one another and I felt like crap! I felt bad for him and annoyed that I had to give another lesson on alopecia. Honestly, sometimes I hate that feeling I get when I see the hurt in someones eyes when they are feeling sorry for me. I feel so bad for them. This was definitely a strange encounter, one, because I was standing outside explaining to yet another stranger about my bald head and at the same time the stranger was hitting on me. Guess acceptance of my bald head doesn't necessarily mean that I will ever get used to those encounters. I think it is two separate issues. Anyway...again I felt like I wanted to cover up my crown and bought a new wig. I kinda liked the wig. I might wear it when I go out dancing again one day.