Tuesday, January 22, 2008

AS LONG AT YOU'RE OK WITH IT...


I will continue to erase the image of myself for you, as long as you're OK with it. I will continue to not show you what I look like. I will continue to show up at family functions, board meetings, school plays and holiday parties and cover my baldness.

I will continue to wear things like colorful scarves, unusual hats and wigs of different hair colors in which you sometimes deem inappropriate under different circumstances. I will continue to not get on a crowded bus, train or airplane without covering my head...that is, if you're OK with it.
I will continue to not remove my hat in the middle of eating in some greasy spoon of a diner while my head pours of sweat from the heat in the kitchen...yeah, I'll do that too, that is, as long as you're OK with it.
I will continue to not do anything that will call attention to the fact that I have no hair.
I will continue to do all these things and act as if I enjoy doing so...all this for you...that is, if this is what makes you comfortable being around me.
I care so much about what you think, meanwhile erasing the very person that I am. I will continue to do this too just as long as I am not OK with it, and you are. Why?